Fall is a beautiful time in Michigan, but for many it is also a very busy time — with children returning to school and upcoming holidays to plan for.
At Flatrock, we are always in awe of our staff and the great care they take of our residents and fellow employees. Sometimes, when we are taking care of business and others, we forget to take care of ourselves.
Self–Care Awareness Month — which is celebrated in September — is a time to remind us that taking care of ourselves is essential.
Some tips for self-care this fall:
- Enjoy the aroma of autumn. Bake a pumpkin pie or buy a candle or essential oil with scents of the season — such as cinnamon, cloves, or juniper.
- Take a walk. We all know walking is good for our hearts, but it is also good for the spirit, especially when walking on a trail surrounded by colorful autumn leaves.
- Indulge in something cozy. Buy yourself a soft sweater or blanket to get cozy in the cooler weather.
- Get your school supplies. Remember how exciting it was to buy new school supplies in the fall? Why not get some notebooks and writing utensils and start a journal? Journaling is a known tool for “sorting out” our feelings.
- Get checked out. When was the last time you had a physical? As we wind down from summer and close out the year, fall is a good time to get your annual checkup.
Enjoy our beautiful and albeit fleeting autumn, and remember that self-care is not selfish, it is self-aware.